Our Guayusa, pronounced Gua-You-Sa, comes from the Amazonian province of Napo, Ecuador. Like with all Ayni products, our Guayusa is farmed using the traditional Kichwa method called 'Chakra', which has a conscientious respect for the natural environment. This organic approach seeks to preserve biodiversity and natural resources. We pay a fair price to farming communities and contribute to the preservation and protection of the Amazon rainforest by supporting their traditional cultivation methods.
Drinking a daily cup of Guayusa:
- Boosts energy - Guayusa packs an impressing punch of caffeine, in similar amounts as regular coffee, and contains the amino acid L-theanine, which releases caffeine more smoothly and evenly into the body - so no more “coffee jitters”. Guayusa also contains theobromine and theophylline, which are known stimulants that help to improve concentration and mood.
- Helps digestion - Guayusa has anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate stomach cramps and bloating.
- Improves heart health - Guayusa helps to protect the heart due to its concentration of theanine. A study published in the Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research found that theanine reduced high blood pressure by decreasing inflammation in the arteries and lower blood pressure.
- Aids weight loss - Guayusa may help increase weight loss thanks to its caffeine and theobromine content, which helps to increase digestive efficiency.
- Protects against free radicals - Guayusa boasts twice the amount of antioxidants as green tea. These substances reduce oxidative stress by combating unstable molecules in your body. They help decrease your risk of several chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes.
Guayusa is also used ritually by the Kichwas to induce lucid dreaming, earning it the nickname 'night watchman'. Community members gather the following morning and sip more tea while interpreting their dreams.