Ceremonial Grade Cacao
Our Ceremonial Grade Cacao is made from Ecuadors finest heirloom variety, Arriba Nacional, by cacao producing communities from the Tsatsayaku Association in the Amazonian province of Napo. Their mission is to conserve and produce ancestral cacao that provides a fair price for their members. The cacao itself is farmed using the traditional Kichwa agroforestry method called 'Chakra', which has a conscientious respect for the natural environment. This organic approach seeks to preserve biodiversity and natural resources.
As well as its fine aroma, low bitterness and amazing taste, Arriba Nacional is a favourite among those who drink cacao in a ceremonial setting. The fermentation process and toasting methods used by our association activates therapeutic compounds naturally found in this variety of cacao. Packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals - cacao truly is a superfood for body, mind and spirit.
Drinking a ceremonial dose (between 20-42g) enhances:
- Mood - cacao acts as a great natural antidepressant inducing the release of feel-good endorphins. It is a source of tryptophan, the precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin, which also puts us in a good mood.
- Energy - cacao contains an abundance of Theobromine (Food of the Gods in Greek), which increases blood flow, stimulating the cardiovascular system. A great way to awaken the mind and body without getting the coffee jitters.
- Clarity - cacao stimulates the release of neurotransmitter dopamine, which is the main brain chemical Messenger responsible for making us feel motivated, as well as increasing our ability to experience pleasure.
- Bliss - cacao is the only food in the world (excluding mothers milk) to contain what is known as the "Bliss Molecule", anandamide, producing feelings of happiness and overall mental well-being.
- Creativity - cacao is great to share in a circle because it enhances our ability to express our inner creativeness. Whether its drawing, music making, singing, meditation or brainstorming, cacao allows us to connect to the Source and unlock our full potential.
Eating too much ceremonial grade cacao (over 50g) can cause nausea, cold sweats and headaches. It is incompatible with anti depressants and certain heart conditions.